The Every Body is Beautiful Project Digital Course
A 4 month course designed to help you gain a deeper understanding around eating disorder prevention and intervention, and strengthen your sense of body respectReady to enroll? Let's do it!
This digital course, offered in collaboration with our non-profit partner Ophelia's Place, is a 4 month online course, designed to help you gain a deeper understanding around eating disorder prevention and intervention, and strengthen your sense of body respect on both a personal and collective level.
We do this by looking at some of the core foundations of understanding eating disorders and diet culture, how these things are connected are perpetuated within our society, deep diving into some of the socio-cultural factors that keep us stuck individually and collectively in disordered eating and body oppression, and exploring ways to shape change in our communities.
Participants will explore:
- Eating disorder prevention and early intervention, learning ways to increase connection to treatment and support for those struggling
- Redefining health, nourishment and movement through a Health at Every Size lens
- Understanding, dismantling, and reshaping the systems of oppression that perpetuate eating disorders and fatphobia
- Community Care as a form of self care: stepping outside of our own personal lens and making space for the experiences and voices of those more marginalized than ourselves, in order to move the culture forward towards collective healing from body shame and oppression
The program is for you if...
- You want to more fully understand the costs and consequences of living in diet culture and fatphobia, and feel confident about questioning, challenging and stepping out of these systems
- You want to approach eating disorders work from a more intersectional and justice-informed lens
- You need help sorting fact from fiction when it comes to the intersection of health and weight, by looking at both science and lived experience, and incorporating the teachings of the Health at Every Size model into your community
- You want to shape change in your community –be that within the home, your friend circle, professional space, and beyond–disrupting body shaming conversations, inspiring healing, and spreading awareness around body respect and eating disorder prevention
Here's what you get:
- monthly study + discussions of critical books that disrupt and reshape cultural norms around food, weight, exercise, health, and beauty ideals
- 9 audio and video expert interviews addressing these issues along with space for critical thinking + reflection
- connection to a community of like-minded individuals from around the globe who share a passion for this work
- a certificate of completion and the possibility of joining Ophelia's Place team of educators and ambassadors
Core Learning Objectives:
- Participants will be able to name 3-5 ways living in diet culture and fatphobia have negative impacts on their communities and personal lived experience.
- Participants will be equipped to ask others in their community 3-5 questions, aimed at challenging the socio-political systems we were raised in, as it relates to the narratives around food and bodies.
- Participants will be able to identify at least three systems of oppression and how they intersect with eating disorders.
- Participants will be able to develop ideas that they can commit to, for moving our culture towards collective healing from body shame and oppression.
- Participants will be able to name at least five myths they've been taught about health and weight, and to explain the truth counter to these myths.
- Participants will take away 3-5 ways that they can disrupt body shaming conversations or spread awareness around body respect in their home, friends circle, professional space, and more.
What others have said...
We're elated to share that 95% of folks who've completed the program reported that they now feel very or extremely comfortable spreading awareness around eating disorders, diet culture and body oppression!
"This program has given me the tools and, more importantly, the language to speak about these topics in a helpful, safe, and educational manner with my community and those I meet. I am more sensitive to the unique spectrum of body dissatisfaction and eating disordered experiences, rather than looking through the lens of my own. I feel more compassionate, educated, and competent in being a leader in this field. Beyond grateful. I feel that this program has given me the credentials to back up something I have always felt passionate about."
"[As a therapist] this was most impactful for me because it allowed me to examine MYSELF, instead of just learning tools and information for my clients. It allowed me to challenge my own biases and beliefs, and the fact that it was self-paced was fantastic."
"This course helped me redefine eating disorders and body image, to see it through a social justice framework. It has challenged previous thoughts and information that I received from my personal experience with an eating disorder. Additionally, I've been able to explore the intersection between disability and eating disorders/body dissatisfaction, and hope to continue this work.
Timeframe: The course is paced to be completed within four months from the start date, but is designed to allow you as much time as you need to complete all of the contents. Once you sign up, you have access to the course material for life!
Cost: We offer a sliding scale pricing structure in an effort to make the program more accessible. We are so appreciative of your contribution at whatever amount is possible for you, and kindly ask that you're honest about the amount that is within your means to pay. All of the proceeds from this course go directly back to our non-profit cause, help to cover the costs for running the course like paying our team and guest experts, and support us in continuing to improve and add more content to the course.
*Please note the cost of the program covers all course materials with the exception of the required books. We highly encourage our participants to purchase the assigned texts directly from the authors if possible.
Thinking of enrolling but have some questions first?
StartGeneral Information & Important Details (2:43)
StartMonthly Book Schedule
StartSelf Care Through the Readings
Start'The Body is Not an Apology' Book Discussions
Start'Measuring Health from the Inside' Book Discussions
Start'Body Respect / Health at Every Size' Hybrid Book Discussions
Start'Embody' Book Discussions
Brittany has spent nearly ten years in the Mississippi public school system as an English teacher. In her new role of Education Director, Brittany brings a wealth of knowledge and passion about how people learn and connect with one another. She has an immense passion for educating others on topics that spark deeper self-reflection and that generate actionable and systemic change.